Hey y’all! I am super excited because it’s finally Ramadan. Ramadan Mubarak (Happy Ramadan/Blessed Ramadan) to all. Wishing everyone lots of love, happiness, empathy, health and prosperity.
Before I begin I want to drop a quick background on what Ramadan is about.
It’s a time, every year, where Muslims around the world fast for 30 days- that’s right no food, water or even gum from sunrise till sunset.
Why do Muslims do this?
Muslims believe that on Ramadan, specifically a special night called “The Night of Power” the first verses of the Holy Quran were revealed. It is also one of five pillars of Islam.
Is it a holiday?
Yes! I always explain it to people as a mix of Christmas and Lent (celebrated and practiced by Christians*). It’s a special time for Muslims that they look forward to all year.
Please note I am not asking you to celebrate Ramadan! You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to, although, number one in my list is the simplest and nicest act in my opinion. Consider everything else if you would like to participate in the festivities. Let’s get into the list!
1. Simply wish your Muslim friend or neighbour a Happy Ramadan! At the end of Ramadan, also wish them a Happy Eid
2. Try your hardest not to tag your Muslim friends in food videos for the month. It’s okay if you’re not intentionally doing this 🙂
3. Bring your Muslim friend or neighbour some dates. Many Muslims break their fast with the fruit as it is both healthy and traditional. If you can’t find any dates in store, refer to the chart below to understand why:
4. Send your Muslim friend some cupcakes! Islamic Relief Canada organizes Cakes4Humanity each year where you can donate to a good cause AND send some sweets to a friend
5. Fast with your Muslim friend for a day. Warning it will be hard…time will pass slowly but surely…
6. Donate money to a Mosque near you
7. Make Ramadan wish cards and send them to your Muslim friend or participate in this U.S campaign
8. Host a dinner for your Muslim friends. Make sure that any meat served is Halal or Kosher
9. Feed the needy!
10. Pick a charity of your choice and organize a food drive
Stay blessed! My comment section is always open if you have any questions.
Check out more lifestyle posts here.