Is it appropriate to start a blog post with “this is delicious!!!!”? No? Okay.
But this is so so so delicious! And the only reason it’s delicious is because it’s basically just sugar. So please, do NOT eat this straight out the jar no matter how tempting it may be…
– ½ cup of brown sugar or sugar of choice (because sugar is sugar)
– ½ cup of chilled coconut milk, I used Grace Coconut Milk from a can (Important: Only add the creamy layer!)
– ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
– a pinch of salt
Let’s make this!
1. Turn the heat on low and heat a small pot. Add the sugar in and mix for two minutes.
2. Add the coconut cream and mix until both sugar and milk melt.
3. The mixture will start bubbling.This is a good sign! Add salt and vanilla extract.
4. Keep periodically mixing the caramel for 15 minutes on low heat. The mixture will bubble from time to time and the colour will get darker. (Important: Do not go under 15 minutes, as to allow both sugar and cream to break down and dissolve.)
5. After 15 minutes, remove from heat. Let caramel rest for 10 minutes before pouring into a GLASS container. The caramel should be dark and runny, similar to maple syrup (see last picture above).
6. Store it in the fridge for at least 3 hours before using. This will allow the caramel to thicken.
7. Enjoy! Use in ice cream! On fruits and pancakes! Coffee! Everything!
Make sure to keep it in the fridge though 🙂
Check out more recipes here.